What Is Abalone ?
Abalone is a common name for any small or larger group of sea snails and sometimes referred to as ear-shell or sea ear shells. These snails also go by the name of muttonfish or mutton shells in other parts of the world such as Australia or by the name of ormer in England.
These sea dwelling invertebrates are a unique type of marine snail which are classified as gastropods. They can be recognized by their unique pearlescent color that is found in the underside of their shell.
How To Clean Abalone
First, separate the shell using a knife or flat spatula and gently release the abalone from its shell. Make sure that the abalone is whole and undamaged. Work the spatula around and along the space between the muscles and the shell until the abalone separates from the shell. After taking the meat from shell it is important to remove the guts called viscera by cutting carefully around the meat.
Use flour to clean the meat by gently brushing over the surface to remove any dirt or contamination. Your Abalone is ready.
Clean the shell and brush both sides and blanch for two minutes, So, can be used as decoration.
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Japanese sweet wine 2 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar.
- 3 tablespoon of butter
- 1 shallot sliced
- Chopped spring onion
PREPARING FOR COOKING
- Cut top of meat to cook easily.
- Heat the Pan over medium high, And add 2 tables spoon of cooking oil Use non- sticky wok for best result because it will not stick and break the meat,
- When oil is hot add the abalone and fry each sides for 2 minutes then separate in plate.
- Meanwhile in same wok add the melted butter followed by sliced shallots for 2minutes in medium high, and then add the soy sauce, Japanese sweet wine mirin, and 1 table spoon of white sugar till melted and put the meat to mixed the sauce for 30 secs and turn off the heat.
- Arrange the abalone from the shell and pour the sauce garnish with chopped spring onion and serve.
TRY THIS RECIPE AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! FOR MORE GREAT RECIPE CLICK HERE.